Friday 22 March 2019

Libenter gloriabor in infirmitatibus meis


Libenter gloriabor in infirmitatibus meis
The second reading at Ali's funeral was taken from the 2nd letter of St Paul to the Corinthians.  It was a passage Ali introduced me to shortly after I started living in Dorset in August 1989, noting the paradox that, contrary to the world's estimation of power, true power is discovered in weakness and infirmities and brokenness. It was one of Ali's favourite passages of Scripture, if not her favourite. Whereas the 'natural' tendency is to esteem and "boast" of health, money, success, power, good looks, fame, and such things, St Paul makes the extraordinary "boast" of nothing other than his weaknesses.
On my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses.  But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, even considering the exceptional character of the revelations.  Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness."  So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses [libenter igitur gloriabor in infirmitatibus meis], so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.  (2 Cor 12: 5-10. NRSV translation)
Libenter gloriabor in infirmitatibus meis:   I will gladly boast of my weaknesses.  Other translations render the Latin differently.  For example, the Douay-Rheims translation is "Gladly will I glory in my infirmities." This short phrase, from a passage of the Holy Bible that meant so much for Ali, seems to me to be a fitting epitaph for her.  Ali "gloried" in her weaknesses - her infirmities of body, mind and spirit.  Her infirmities were not merely the obvious limitations associated with physical disability, sickness and pain, but also various social, emotional, mental and spiritual sufferings that she experienced acutely.  It seems fitting to me for Ali's epitaph to be expressed in the Latin, which leaves it open to different interpretations.

Ali recognised that her many weaknesses and varied sufferings were a great gift.  She could gladly accept them in her life,  and gladly accept other people with weaknesses and sufferings, because she recognised the paradox of the greatness of the gift. A particularly acute "gift of suffering" was encapsulated in an event on 22 March, a few years before I got to know Ali.   The day was one of great suffering for her, but in it she saw the face of the divine.  It changed her life.

It has taken me far too long to arrange for Ali's headstone to be installed over her grave by the village church in Milborne St Andrew,  Dorset. I had been informed that it would be ready for installation in May.  Yesterday I was told that it might be installed today.  As the pictures show,  the headstone has been installed.  And it is fitting that it should have happened on this date. 

Ali's headstone (2nd from left) with St Andrew's Church in the background.
Ali's headstone - installed on 22 March 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment